The Center helped create Maine Woods Discovery to showcase the best that the Maine Woods has to offer. We know the region has what it takes to attract visitors from around the world who will pay well for authentic experiences and top-notch service. We believe that high-quality destinations create the best visitor experiences and the best employment opportunities for Northern Forest residents.
Tourism providers in Maine have come together in Maine Woods Discovery to promote high quality vacation experiences and advance best practices within the region’s tourism industry. The program is a standards-based marketing initiative, and the the Maine Woods Discovery quality label promises a top-notch experience to visitors to the Maine Woods. The Northern Forest Center coordinates Maine Woods Discovery as a project of the Maine Woods Consortium.
Recreation-based tourism is a vital and increasingly important source of jobs and economic opportunity in rural Maine, and quality experiences are what attracts high spending visitors and generates quality job opportunities.
Connect with Maine Woods Discovery on Facebook!
Maine Woods Discovery Endorsed Tourism Providers
The following businesses have been endorsed through Maine Woods Discovery’s peer review process:
- Northern Outdoors (The Forks)
- Maine Huts & Trails (Kingfield)
- Mahoosuc Guide Service (Newry)
- Weatherby’s Lodge (Grand Lake Stream)
- Allagash Canoe Trips (Greenville)
- Attean Lake Lodge (Jackman)
- New England Outdoor Center (Millinocket)
- Appalachian Mountain Club (Greenville)
- Song in the Woods Adventures (Abbot)
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail (regional)
Visit www.mainewoodsdiscovery.com to learn more.
Maine Woods Discovery Quality Commitments
All tourism providers endorsed by Maine Woods Discovery commit to meeting and promoting the following best practices:
- Provide authentic outdoor and cultural experiences in the Maine Woods region, with activities supported by highly qualified guides, instructors and interpreters.
- Deliver excellent service in every aspect of the visitor’s experience.
- Support our communities.
- Provide well-maintained facilities and equipment that are clearly described in promotional materials and meet highest industry standards.
- Commit to environmentally responsible operations, conservation of the forest landscape, and respect for private forest landowners.
- Commit to the highest applicable safety standards and best practices.