4,951 Jobs — 255,562 Acres — $199 Million Invested
Since 2005, the Center’s programs have:
- Benefited businesses that provide 4,951 jobs by providing skills training and financial support.
- Helped conserve 255,562 acres of forestland for community benefit.
- Helped to secure and leverage more than $199 million for projects that benefit the region’s communities, the economy and forest stewardship.
The Center's programs deliver results on three levels:
- 30,000 Feet: We provide leadership and regional strategy for the 4-state Northern Forest.
- 10,000 Feet: We coordinate programs and partners to increase resources and deliver maximum local impact.
- On the Ground: We help communities benefit from their forest resources and conserve them for the future.
How We Work
- Locally: We help forest-based businesses and communities create jobs and retain wealth locally.
- Collaboratively: We support collaborative networks and engage in a wide-range of state and regional forums to build the region’s capacity and deliver programs.
- Regionally: We share knowledge and opportunities gleaned through engagement across multiple programs in 4 states to benefit the region as a whole.
We have helped build regional capacity by coordinating federal public policy strategy, building collaborative networks and securing millions of dollars of investment for the region. We leveraged those investments by partnering with other organizations and directly funding locally grounded projects that deliver tangible benefits to people and communities. The Center’s accomplishments include:
"One of the things about the Center that is very compelling to me is that it is on the cutting edge of collaborative conservation techniques that have great promise for the future."
Modern Wood Heat
- Installed more than 140 high-efficiency wood pellet boilers through our Model Neighborhood Wood Heating Initiatives in 4 states.
- Assisted 24 communities with wood heat conversion projects.Reduced greenhouse gas by 3,041 tons compared to using fossil fuels.
- Generated $2.5 million in economic impact through automated wood heat.
Wood Products Innovation
- Assisted 65 wood products manufacturers with technical and financial support for innovations and training to strengthen their businesses, help secure the thousands of jobs they provide, and create future employment opportunities.
- Spurred more than $1.6 million investment in innovation in wood products businesses.
- Advanced skilled workforce initiatives at 3 major institutions: Hancock Lumber, the Maine State Department of Corrections, and the Community College System of Maine.
- Helped communities establish 9 new Community Forests while advancing several other projects;
- Conserved 36,663 acres of forestland to generate community benefits.
- Helped generate more than $2 million net revenue for towns through sustainable harvesting.
- Provided $22,387 in micro-grants to serve 22 tourism businesses.
- Helped support 1,168 businesses with training through Maine Woods Tourism Training Initiative workshops on customer service, and management, serving more than 2,250 people.
- Generated $180,800 investment in tourism businesses through grants and leveraged support.
- Earned $1.7 million in media promotion for tourism businesses and the region
- Coordinated Maine Woods Discovery, a quality marketing initiative that promotes world-class tourism and quality job opportunities in the Maine Woods.
Tax Credit Financing
- Facilitated 5 New Markets Tax Credit financings to advance conservation, community, and economic goals on 315,000 acres of working forestland.
- Facilitated financing for major investment in Piscataquis County that enables the AMC to rebuild Medawisla Lodge & Cabins, build new trails, improve local fisheries and more.
- Launched the Tourism Investment Program as an outcome of the Piscataquis County investment.
- Delivered a new strategic plan to guide grant-making by the Northern Border Regional Commission, which will invest $10 million in the region in 2017.
- Generated investment of $30+ million in forest conservation, community development and new sustainable economic uses of the forest through the Northern Forest Investment Initiative (2009-2014).
- Led the Sustainable Economy Initiative to create the first economic strategy for the region, earning gubernatorial endorsement and congressional backing.
- Link thousands of leaders and keep them informed of regional challenges and opportunities through the Northern Forest News Digest. Sign up today to get it for free!
- Showcased the region’s history and culture to 130,000 people through the traveling Ways of the Woods museum.
- Published At Home in the Northern Forest: Reflections on a Region’s Identity to explore people’s sense of place in the Northern Forest.